5 Remedies Homeowners Can Use To Keep Their Drains Squeaky Clean
Cleaning your drains can be a real pain in the neck. We’ve heard this one before. As a homeowner, sometimes you just can’t help but roll your eyes when you see your tub or sink refusing to drain. There is nothing worse than being in the middle of a shower and realizing the water level is reaching your ankles. Sometimes you wonder what to do to clean these drains.
Luckily, there are some home remedies you can utilize to break up any clogs and get the draining you need. Here are 5 remedies homeowners can use to keep their drains squeaky clean:
- These will significantly improve any homeowners ability to keep their drains clean. When these chemical cleaners are being used correctly, pesky clogs will be prevented from forming in your drains. However, keep in mind that these cleaners contain poisonous chemicals. To keep the members of your family safe from these chemicals, as well as your pipes, use these drain cleaners in moderation. When used properly, they will aid you greatly.
Natural Drain Cleaning
- Making a natural drain cleaner is fairly easy. Simply mix some baking soda with either salt, vinegar, or lemons and put it down the drain of your sink. Then, turn on the garbage disposal for a few seconds and turn it off again.
- Doing this should not only help clear your drain, but should keep your garbage disposal clean as well. Natural drain cleaning is much safer than chemical cleaners, and won’t do as much damage to your pipes.
- To get the job done, you might need to use more than just a drain cleaner. If a chemical or natural drain cleaner doesn’t remedy your issue, head to your closet and whip out a wire coat hanger. Take the wire hangar into your hands and bend it out until it is completely straight with a small hook at the end. This should be simple, but might take a second or two to bend.
- Once you finish bending the wire to the suggested position, stick it down the drain carefully and wiggle it around. Grabbing any debris or potential clogs with this makeshift tool, do your best to clear the drain and pull out any potential threats. Do this every so often to ensure your pipes are clean as a whistle.
- That’s just plumbing basics! If a drain contains enough debris, or the clog is severe enough, you may have to call out the big guns. A plunger is just what you need. To use this plunger effectively, encompass the whole drain with the rubber head. Then, pump vigorously to suck this debris and clog out of position and back up the drain.
- When you see it coming up, grab tool to help fish it out. Be warned, as this may get pretty ugly.
Call Christian Brothers
- As always, if you have more of an issue than you can handle, call Christian Brothers! Christian Brothers technicians are trained, licensed, and certified in all plumbing techniques and technologies. We can have that drain cleaned and unclogged in a matter of just a few minutes. Give Christian Brothers a call at (623) 499-9794.
- Read more about plumbing in your home. And, ask Christian Brothers for your FREE complimentary plunger with service visit.