Electrical Hazards in Your Home

The modern world is almost totally dependent on electricity. From the moment you hit the button on your alarm clock, you’re using some form of electricity. In fact, it’s so incredibly integrated into modern life that most people take it for granted and forget it’s even there.

When people forget about electricity, problems can arise. Every year, thousands of house fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets. Several other common electrical problems are responsible for tens of thousands of fires.

Glendale, AZ -ElectricianThere are five electrical problems that seem to occur far more often than the rest. Once you know about these problems, they become easier to watch for, so you can prevent a devastating fire from ravaging your Glendale home.

Too Much Plugged Into Power Strips

A top electrical hazard that could be lurking inside of your home is an overloaded power strip. For people who live inside of a smaller home, such as a studio apartment, it can be very tempting to overload power strips.

Problems can arise when multiple power strips are plugged into the same outlet. The risk increases when both of the power strips are heavy-duty models, which means they have room for as many as 12 different devices. If both strips are completely overloaded, they could provide electricity to over 24 different devices.

Using power strips like this is just asking for trouble. For optimal safety, never plug more than one power strip into a single outlet and keep the number of devices plugged into the strip as low as possible. It’s also important to avoid using power strips for space heaters, microwaves and refrigerators because they’re not made to be plugged into a power strip.

Too Many Extension Cords

Like power strips, extension cords can create an electrical hazard. It’s true that extension cords can be very helpful, but when they’re used for too long, they can start a fire. All extension cords are meant to be used for a short period of time, so when you don’t need them, unplug them and put them away.

We also recommend never running extension cords through walls or ceilings because doing so can cause them to overheat. Also, indoor extension cords should never be used outside, but there is nothing wrong with using outdoor cords inside and outside.

Faulty and Defective Wiring

Quality wiring should always follow the latest guidelines and safety standards. The best way to make sure your home wiring follows these requirements is to have a professional electrician install your wiring. It’s never a bad idea to have professionals come out and inspect your home’s electrical system.

We can check the system and diagnose any problems that we find. You should never, under any circumstances, attempt to perform your own electrical wiring. This is one of the quickest ways to guarantee your home will catch fire. Poor or defective wiring is another top electrical hazard. There are several signs of defective wiring:

  • Fuses that are always blowing
  • Lights that constantly flicker
  • Wall outlets that have become discolored
  • Appliances making a burning smell
  • Switches and outlets that are always hot when touched
  • Breakers that constantly trip

If you see any of these signs in your home, you should never try to fix them. The best option is to call a professional electrician. We can diagnose any electrical problems inside of your Glendale home and fix them before they have a chance to start a fire.

Misplaced Space Heaters

One of the top electrical hazards is an overheated space heater. Since almost every space heater is portable, Glendale homeowners tend to move them constantly. Problems occur when a space heater is placed too close to flammable objects.

For example, it’s not uncommon for homeowners to place space heaters near rugs, couches, beds and curtains. There should always be three feet of space between your space heater and other objects. It’s also important to never leave a space heater unattended while it’s turned on.

If possible, you should also try to avoid purchasing space heaters that have coils. The problem with coils is that they get so hot that they have the potential to instantly ignite most flammable objects.

Light Bulbs Used Incorrectly

Light bulbs have been around for such a long time that most people don’t even think about them. When a bulb stops working, a typical homeowner will drive to the store and purchase new bulbs. The problem is that not everyone knows what bulbs to buy.

Glendale, AZ -Electric-ServicesThere are specific bulbs made for specific types of fixtures. It’s very important to read the label on your light fixture and find out what type of bulb it takes. Most fixtures call for a 60-watt bulb or equivalent. If you try to run a 120-watt bulb in the 60-watt fixture, you run the risk of causing a fire.

You can also run into problems when you try to use a 60-watt bulb in a 120-watt fixture. The wattage of your light bulb should always match the wattage that the fixture is rated for. You should always make sure bulbs are screwed in very tightly and never place any type of cloth over a light fixture because it can cause the material to ignite.

These are the top five electrical hazards that could be lurking inside of your home. If you’re ever having electrical problems, it’s very important to call the professionals. If you try to fix the problem yourself, you could get electrocuted or cause a catastrophic house fire.

Electrical problems might seem like they can be fixed easily, but the reality is that electricians must spend a huge amount of time in school because there is so much to learn about electrical circuits. Professionals know how to fix common electrical issues and avoid getting electrocuted. We can make sure your home is properly wired and answer any other questions that you might have.

Having electrical issues within your Glendale, AZ home? Call Christian Brothers Plumbing, Air Conditioning, and E

 

 

rical today at (623) 499-9794.